Pages

Product Review: Skincare

Monday 9 December 2013

Hello everybody! It's been a while since my last post and that's because I am still yet to redecorate my room (sigh). So I thought I'd do another post on a couple of products that I have recently discovered and have been loving! I've been doing a lot of research lately on skincare because I never really believed that my skincare routine was perfectly suited to my skin type. Also breakouts really annoy me and I want to try and avoid them as much as possible. No one likes pimples. Go away pimple you are not wanted! 


So keep reading for a full review of these products I have really been loving. Ps my skin type is mostly dry and sensitive. 


This. Stuff. Is. Fabulous. 
There are simply no other words for this. I literally fell in love with this the day I bought it. It is the Clinique Take The Day Off Cleansing Balm, and at $55 from Myer it is a little on the pricier side BUT as deceiving as this picture is, this jar is actually quite large. I've been using it for over a week now and barely seen any dip in the product. I have been using this 2-3 times a day, once in the morning and usually twice at night- once to take off makeup and then a second time to just really cleanse my skin. Okay onto why I love it! It's a balm. So its quite an oily texture which scared me at first because of all of this media hype on how oil is bad for your skin etc etc but through my research I have learnt that oils are actually quite good for your skin (and your hair actually). Its actually really important to have a bit of oil as makeup, and harsh cleansers/scrubs can strip your skin of its natural oils which can actually send your skin into overdrive and make it produce more oils which then leads to breakouts! Confusing, I know. Moral: don't be scared of oils! Okay so the way this works is you take a little onto the tips of your fingers and rub them a little to warm up the product, then massage onto DRY skin first (this is important for removing makeup) and then add a little warm water which will turn it into a milky substance (the cleansing part). It is sooooo easy to take off makeup, I literally rub it into my eyes and because it is so gentle I can even open my eyes whilst massaging and it doesn't irritate or sting and completely removes makeup- including waterproof mascara! It leaves your skin feeling clean and soft and is very gentle so its perfect for anyone with sensitive skin, but would actually suit all skin types. 


Another recent favourite of mine, this is the Effaclar Duo from La Roche Posay. I actually have no idea what "effaclar duo" means exactly (if anyone knows, let me know in the comments!) but whatever it is, it works. Most of the writing on this is in French so its difficult to workout how exactly this works but basically I heard from many other beauty blogger/youtubers that this stuff works miracles for redness/pimples/skin irritations. And it really really does. I've been applying this in the areas where I get the most redness- cheeks and chin- every morning and every night on days where my skin seems to hate me and I find myself noticing a dramatic difference. Redness is lessened and pimples go away quicker! I also really appreciate the fact that it's in a tube. No mess no fuss. A little really does go a long way. One thing that threw me off was the price. For a mere 40ml, $26 really did seem like a stretch, but considering I only use it in spot areas and it actually really does work it seems to live up to its price. Loving this!


When I used to work in the chemist, I would always walk past this and think to myself "why would anyone spend $20 on a can of water?!". Then it went on sale, 2 for $20. So my friend and I decided we would purchase it and see what all the fuss was about. I don't really know if this is can be classified as a skincare product since it is literally spring water in a can?!?! The website says its used to 'soothe and soften the skin' as well as 'restore natural balance'. I'm also not really sure what the exact proper use of this is, but I have really been enjoying using this on really hot days. Does anyone remember those mini portable fan spray thingys? This kinda reminds me of those- just a more sophisticated and expensive version. A little spritz on a hot day really freshens you up and I find it leaves my skin feeling a little softer. Great for the beach- although I wouldn't lug this huge thing around, i'd probably buy the much smaller version of it to keep in my handbag on hot days.


Another expensive product I'm sorry! This is actually an old bottle that I found lying around from about a year ago when my mum went a little crazy at the Duty Free section of the airport and then never actually used any of the Shiseido products she bought. Naturally I pounced. The set comes with this Brightening emulsion, a brightening cleanser and a brightening toner. I use these products in conjunction with each other every now and then when I feel like treating myself or if my skin is looking particularly dull. Of the three, this is my favourite and I love using it on nights out or special occasions right under my makeup as it really does brighten the skin and make you look more..alive? awake? radiant? I don't know but I like it! 


Last but not least! Super basic, super cheap moisturiser. Less than $10 at Priceline/pharmacy. Aveeno- the skin relief range. I am actually so in love with this stuff that the bottle in this photo is actually empty and I'm in desperate need of a new one (i've literally been scraping out the cream from the inside with my finger so I can still use it! This stuff is great for people like myself who have very sensitive skin prone to being itchy (especially after shaving oh boy I hate it). It is super hydrating to the skin, stops me from wanting to scratch my skin off, and doesn't leave an oily residue like some of the richer body creams and body butters. I actually even find it gentle enough to use on my face at night because of how hydrating it is. Also loving that it has a pump. Less fuss, less mess, less time. Love it. 

In conjunction with these products, I have also been having no-makeup days at least once a week and I have found that my skin has really been thanking me for it. Makeup is heavy, and clogs pores, and is just not good for the skin. Also, drinking water helps keep your skin hydrated as well as do many other fabulous things for the body. Diet also helps (not that this stops me from eating chocolate oops).

Are you waiting for the Lush product? Ha ha! No Lush products at all this week ;) I have been amazingly good (for me) and avoided walking into Lush for the last 2 weeks!! 
Except now Christmas is around the corner so that's probably going to change. Also I am in desperate need of bath bombs. 

Hope you enjoyed this super duper long post!
xoxoxo 
 ♡


<a href="http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/12686427/?claim=78g9asapt5d">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>





No comments:

Post a Comment